Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ,
It is difficult to believe that I have just celebrated my 13th Anniversary of my Episcopal Ordination as your Bishop on May 31, 2001. I celebrate with much joy and gratitude for the many wonderful events that have taken place in the past 13 years.
To name a few of the events The Vietnamese Catholic Community began worshipping in 2003 in our diocese with the opening of Our Lady of La Vang Shrine and became a parish in 2011
• The diocese saw the building of a new Bishop Gorman High School - faculty and students moved into the new school and began academic studies in this new location in the southwest part of the Valley in 2007
• St. Francis of Assisi was erected in 2003 and has completed the first phase of building their parish facility and are now embarking on building their Church and School
• St. Anthony of Padua was erected as a parish in 2006 and now the parishioners are preparing to break ground for the building of their parish hall which will allow the parish to begin worshipping and functioning as a parish on their property.
• In 2007 Holy Spirit Parish in the southwest part of the valley was erected and presently celebrates liturgies at Bishop Gorman High School.
• La Virgen de Guadalupe in Mesquite completed the building of their church.
• The diocese has been blessed with 5 priests being ordained in the last 13 years, 25 permanent deacons who were trained through our Permanent Diaconate Program and ordained for the Diocese of Las Vegas: 19 men were ordained on June 3, 2011 and 6 men were ordained on May 31, 2013. This past weekend one more deacon was added to our diocese, Deacon Daniel Powers who was ordained on May 31, 2013.
• There are many, many more wonderful events to include the Celebration of Confirmations, Graduations, school visits, etc. that have made these past 13 years a most exciting and gratifying part of my priestly ministry.
I thank my presbyterate and parishioners for the continued prayers that you have given me as your Bishop. I am humbled by the love and support that you show to me in my ministry. I assure each of you of my prayers and best wishes for a safe and memorable summer.
Sincerely yours in Christ,
Most Reverend Joseph A. Pepe, D.D., J.C.D.
Bishop of Las Vegas